Melissa T. Cox is a passionate family law advocate who has practiced family law exclusively throughout her career. In 2018, she was recognized as a Northern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine, a recognition only awarded to the top 2.5% of up-and-coming lawyers in California. Ms. Cox’s breadth of experience includes working directly with the Courts and in private practice assisting clients with complex marital litigation.
Prior to joining Seo Family Law, Ms. Cox worked in several Bay Area family law firms, assisting clients with complex marital property litigation, child custody and visitation issues, and spousal and child support.
Committed to the community, Ms. Cox has worked closely with Judges of the San Mateo Superior Court working with self-represented litigants at the San Mateo County Family Law Facilitator’s Office. Ms. Cox currently volunteers with the Alameda County Family Courts by assisting self-represented litigants in conjunction with the Alameda County Bar Association.
Ms. Cox is a Bay Area native and was raised in Alameda County. Ms. Cox attended law school at the University of San Francisco – School of Law. During Ms. Cox’s time at the University of San Francisco, she received the Arthur C. Zief Jr. Scholarship for her demonstrated academic potential and involvement in law school community. Prior to law school, Ms. Cox graduated from UC Santa Cruz with a degree in Legal Studies.
Ms. Cox also worked closely with children as a Street Law teacher at Lincoln High School in San Francisco and at the Public Defender’s Office working closely with minors and at-risk youth. At the Public Defender’s Office, Ms. Cox zealously advocated for her young clients providing guidance during a difficult time. She assisted her clients, and their families in navigating the stressful and often confusing process of criminal law. Ms. Cox utilizes her experience to guiding clients through one of the most emotional times of their lives. Ms. Cox strongly believes that an essential aspect of family law is providing empathetic guidance in adjusting to a new family structure.
In her spare time, Ms. Cox enjoys spending time with her friends and family, traveling the world, and snowboarding.
- 2018 Northern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine
- 2017 Outstanding Volunteer by Volunteer Legal Services Corporation of the Alameda County Bar Association
- Juris Doctor, University of San Francisco School of Law
- Executive board member of the Asian Pacific Islander Student Association
- Executive board member of the Youth Advocacy Association
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- State Bar of California, member of Family Law Section
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) Mentorship Program
- Earl Warren American Inn of Court, member
- Alameda County Bar Association, member of Family Law and Barristers Sections
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, member of Family Law Section
- California Young Lawyers Association
Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer Attorney with Alameda County Bar Association