Jillian E. Atuegbu is an accomplished attorney in the practice of family law. Ms. Atuegbu’s practice is devoted exclusively to family law matters. She understands and recognizes how incredibly stressful and life-altering separating from a spouse or partner can be. She ensures that she has a clear understanding of her client’s goals, while providing practical solutions based in the law. She knows the processes and procedures that will affect her clients’ cases and enlists the assistance of experts, as appropriate. Ms. Atuegbu is child-focused and expects that her clients always consider the best interests of their children. That they appreciate how certain outcomes may affect parent-child relationships in the future. Ms. Atuegbu is compassionate, organized, focused, and has a keen attention to detail. She has vast experience settling family law matters as well as trying them before private and public bench officers. Ms. Atuegbu’s focus is always to settle matters outside of court, if at all possible. Ms. Atuegbu will advocate avidly for her clients in settlement discussions and in court.
While Ms. Atuegbu grew up with an intact family, she understands how conflict between parents can affect the relationship between parties and their children. Ms. Atuegbu’s hope is to mitigate damage to parental relationships throughout the divorce process and encourage effective co-parenting skills.
Ms. Atuegbu is also an active member of the legal community. She is a Board Member of the Alameda County Family Law Association (ACFLA), a board member of the California Young Lawyers Association of the California Lawyers Association, and Past President of the Eastern Alameda County Bar Association. She is a member of the Contra Costa County Bar Association and the Alameda County Bar Association.
Ms. Atuegbu has been selected in 2016, 2017, and 2018 to the Northern California Super Lawyer Rising Star list. Each year, no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
Areas of Practice (100% Family Law)
- Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Simple and Complex Property division (valuation and reimbursement claims)
- Divorce Planning and Preparation
- Parentage Actions
- Same Sex Family Law
- Military Divorce
- Juris Doctor, University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Davis
- Certificate, ABA Family Law Trial Advocacy Program (National Institute of Trial Advocacy)
- State Bar of California, Member of Family Law Section
- Alameda County Family Law Association, Board Member
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association Member, Past President
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Member of Family Law Section
Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer attorney with Alameda County Bar Association